Write a story beginning with "I don't believe in ghosts."

Write a story beginning with "I don't believe in ghosts."



I do not believe in ghosts, but the tinkering of the cup and saucer placed on my study table was indeed mysterious. I had retired early to bed after a tiring day at school. My parents had gone out of town and being all alone, I felt a bit uncomfortable. On hearing a loud bang, I woke with a start and grasped for my torchlight, which I had kept under my pillow. Hesitatingly I called out 'Who is there?, and simultaneously flashed my torch in all directions. Wide awake and alert, I slowly crept towards the switchboard. Switching the light on, I went around the house, to find nothing amiss. I heaved a sigh of relief and sat on my bed, trying to fathom what could have caused the explosion. I noticed again the strange clinking of the cup in the saucer. I sat up tense and worried. The tentacles of fear gradually taking hold of me. I pinched myself to ascertain, if I was hallucinating. That was however not to be, for I was completely in my senses.

The tinkering stopped and I took a deep breath. The very thought of a ghost in my room made my heart palpitate fast, but my mind refused to accept the logic. I had read many scientific reports, which had dispelled the hypothesis of ghosts, but the films and serials portraying them as real and wicked, mystified them. 

Sleep was by now miles away from me, so I decided to keep the lights on and be awake. A little later challenging my resolve to be brave, the curtain rod on the window came clanking down with the curtains. I sprang to my feet, rushing towards the window shouting, Who is there? Who is there? but to no avail. I was by now exasperated and hysteric with fear and apprehension. Glancing towards the wall clock, I saw the needle indicating 2 AM. There was still three more hours for daybreak. I prayed to get me out through the ordeal and save me from the clutches of the ghost, which I was sure was haunting the house. 

The next three hours were very painful, as I sat on the bed dosing and oceasionally waking up with a start. I was glad to see the first stream of light from the Sun at day break. I got up and stretched my limbs. Venturing into the adjacent room, I found splinters of glass strewn all over the floor, in one corner of the room. A closer look revealed the remnants of a bulb, that had fallen the previous night and had caused the explosion. 

Switching on the TV for the morning news, I heard the newsreader say Lucknow experienced a mild earthquake measuring four to five in the Richter scale, leaving a trail of destruction _____' The words of the announcer thereafter did not seem to register, for suddenly the truth of the mysterious events of the previous night dawned on me.

__________________________

Credits:- Art of Effective English

8 Comments

Comment 💬 us so that we could know about your experience in our website and bring better quality content for you.

Post a Comment

Comment 💬 us so that we could know about your experience in our website and bring better quality content for you.

Previous Post Next Post